Located at 822 County Road 13, Prince Edward County
A former Methodist Church during the early part of the past century, this Chapel was constructed between 1870 and 1876 but its origins are probably of the 1835 era. It was refurbished in 1908 and served the local community well during its prime years until 1967 when, under the United Church amalgamation plans, regular worship was ended. Thanks to the loving care of the community, this church has been preserved intact and has provided occasional services during the ensuing years. It even maintains its excellent acoustics.
The Chapel has no electricity, running water or central heating. Sunlight streaming through patterned glass windows illuminates its interior by day, and when darkness comes, oil lamps glow softly. In the heat of summer visitors cool themselves with old-fashioned paddle fans, and on wintry days and nights a woodstove provides warmth. It is a lovely reminder of the way things used to be.
Special Worship: Anniversary Service is usually held on the first Sunday of August
Christmas Eve Family Service at 6.30 p.m. and Traditional Watchnight Service at 11.15 p.m.
Black River Memorial Chapel can be booked for special events and gatherings including weddings, renewal of vows, memorial services and concerts.
Capacity: Approximately eighty people
Heating and Lighting: Woodstove and oil lamps tended by a Chapel volunteer
For more information or to book the Chapel, contact:
Charles Vincent, Secretary Treasurer
613-476-8435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org